The cancer discovered in the breast cells is known as Breast Cancer. A mass of breast tissue that is developing in an abnormal and hysterical way is a cancerous tumor. A cancerous tumor may attack the adjacent tissues or shed cells into the blood stream or lymph system. After lung cancer, breast cancer is said to be the second most common type of cancer brought into being globally and 5th most common cause of cancer death. It resulted in the deaths of nearly 502,000 globally in 2005. Breast cancer is considered as the most dreaded disease by women than the much more ordinary fatal heart attack among women.
This type of cancer also take place in men since the breast in males and females includes same type of tissues. But is usually 100 times lesser than the women and it also has the same survival rates as women. The tumor in the breast is very rigid to feel and has an unequal shape and not smooth. During a breast self-examination the cancerous tumor many not move but the tissues surrounding the tumor may move.
It all begins with a single or more cells which lose its control of demarcation and increase but is constrained within the basement membrane of the duct. These further divides and they attack the basement membrane of the duct and finally spread to distant organs as well.
About four distinct classification or group derived from different reason and have a different purpose defining breast cancer:
- Pathology- Pathologist categorizes each tumor based on its histological form and for other reasons. The sorts are persistent ductal carcinoma, malignant cancer in the ducts of the breast, invasive lobular carcinoma and the malignant cancer in the breast lobules.
- The histological grade of the tumor is determined by the pathologist under a microscope. A low grade tumor is similar to a normal tissue. A high grade tumor is not similar to a normal tissue and is composed of disorganized cells. Intermediate grade is in betwixt the high and low grade.
- All breast cancers should be tested for expression or visible effect of the estrogen receptor, progesterone receptor and HER2/neu proteins and are carried by immunohistochemistry and will be revealed in the pathologist’s report. In order to predict the prognosis, the profile of expression enables the oncologist to choose a proper treatment.
- Tumor Stage- The TNM classification is an accepted staging scheme and is as follows:
Tumor- It usually depends on the presence or absence of invasive cancer, the dimensions of the invasive cancer as well as the presence or absence of invasive outside the breast there five tumor classification values (Tis, T1, T2, T3 and T4).
Lymph Node- It depends on the number, size and location of breast cancer cell deposits. In lymph nodes there are basically four lymph nodes classification values (N0, N1, N2 and N3).
Metastasis- It basically depends on the presence ad absence of the breast cancer calls in locations other than breast and lymph nodes. There are basically two metastatic classification values (M0 or M1).
However, breast cancers are not always categorized by its histological appearance. Breast tumor is a dense mass of cells emerging whiter than the tissue around it. Benign masses are usually round and oval in shape but a tumor may be somewhat round with any shapes as per its perimeter. If the mass is a multi-pointed star shaped outline, it is termed as speculated.
General Terms For Breast Cancer
- Carcinoma is the term used to define a cancer that starts in the epithelial cells of organs. Breast cancers are usually carcinomas.
- Adenocarcinoma which begins in glandular tissues. Glandular tissues in the breast are ducts and lobules and due to this it is known as adenocarcinoma.
- The initial stage of cancer, when it is limited to the layer of cells where it began is defined by the term Carcinoma in Situ. The cancer cells are usually limited to ducts and lobules are in situ specifically in breast cancer. These particular types have not invaded in to the deeper tissues in the breast or extend to other organs of the body and are known as non-invasive breast cancer.
- The one that has already extended beyond the layer of cells where it all began are invasive or infiltrating cancer. Most breast cancer are invasive. Breast cancer are either invasive ductal carcinoma or invasive lobular carcinoma.
- Cancers starting from connective tissues like fat tissues or blood vessels are termed as sarcomas. In the breast, sarcomas are rare.
Symptoms Of Breast Cancer
The major sign of this cancer is a lump that seems and feels different in the surrounding tissue. Lump in the breast of nearly 80 percent cases are found by the women herself. Lumps present in lymph nodes situated in the armpits or collarbone can also specify breast cancer. Other than this, certain indications include change in breast size or shape, skin dimpling, nipple inversion or impulsive nipple discharge. In order to determine breast cancer, pain is erratic tool but may be due to other breast related issues such as mastodynia. Most of the symptoms do result in breast cancer. Certain common causes of breast disorder symptoms include mastitis and fibro adenoma. Any of these symptoms should be considered seriously as there are chances of having breast cancer at any age.
Consumption of estrogen plant in early adolescence like soybeans may prevent breast cancer later in life. But the consumption of plant estrogen later in life may not persuade either positively or negatively. One should avoid exposure to smoking or secondhand smoke. Passive smoking may also result in breast cancer. The elimination of ovaries in the high risk people after child bearing may also to some extent reduce the risk of breast cancer by 60 percent and thereby reducing the risk of developing ovarian cancer.
The most common method for breast cancer are self and clinical exams, x-ray mammography and breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
By observing surgically removed breast tissue, the breast cancer can be diagnosed. The breast tissues can be removed by fine needle aspiration, nipple aspirates and ductal lavage, core needle biopsy and local surgical excision. An exact diagnosis of this cancer takes into account radiographic imaging together with these diagnostic steps. In order to detect metastasis imaging tests are at times used and it take into account chest X-ray, bone scan, CAT scan, MRI and PET scanning. Microscopic evaluation of biopsy specimen can deliver a cancer diagnosis.
Major treatment is the surgery of the tumor with the hormonal therapy, chemotherapy and radiotherapy. In people with high risk, hormonal therapy has been used for chemoprevention.
Ayurveda is also considered as an alternative to treat breast cancer. This particular type of treatment is used and accepted throughout the world. It is basically used to bring about quick response and thereby lessen the side effects of conventional drugs. It also helps thwart recurrence of disease and also elongate the survival rate. These medicines are used to prevent disease. Protect and cure chronic diseases in the body.
Turmeric containing ingredient curcumin, is believed to include amazing anti-cancer and anti-oxidant properties which may help counteract the body’s free radicals (particles that damage cells) helping to prevent the damage they cause.