Almost all of us at certain phase of our life become a victim of insomnia. In certain cases, insomnia is sporadic in nature that arises and recedes off without any reason or notice.
Insomnia may be caused due to variety of reasons or situations. While, ordinary illustrations include endless desires and demands of life, impractical expectations, skyline ambitions, anxiety, tensions, failures in life both personally and professionally as well as traumatic experiences of life like separation/divorce is likely to trigger severe insomnia or wakefulness.
Subject to the severity of the disease and the time duration of symptoms, insomnia is categorized in different forms. Have a glance over some of the primary types of insomnia:
- Short-term or transient insomnia: These are likely to lasts from a single night to a few weeks.
- On and off (Intermittent) insomnia: Which is likely to occur very often.
- Idiopathic insomnia is considered as an everlasting problem that people suffer from initiating or maintaining sleep. It may result in severe impairment in daytime functioning.
- Psycho physiologic insomnia: In this particular situation, bedroom turns into a terrified place for the patient. The more the patient concentrates on the ability to sleep difficult it becomes to sleep.
- Paradoxical insomnia: In this case, the person feels that he or she is not able to sleep, while the situation is unreal.
- A major type of insomnia is termed as chronic or severe insomnia, a complicated health condition that cause damage to our lives.
A person suffering from severe insomnia feel absence of enthusiasm; ability to work or operate reduces, turns irritable resulting in or causing damage to both professional and personal life. Moreover, the lack of concentration may reach to an extent that a person may encounter accidents or even contemplate with suicidal tendencies. Owing to this reason, one should never avoid chronic insomnia symptoms.
Causes of Insomnia:
Severe insomnia may be a result of series of factors. One of the common reasons for chronic insomnia is depression. Even enduring physical ailments such as arthritis, kidney disease, heart failure, Parkinson’s disease, as well as hyperthyroidism may result in chronic insomnia.
Treatment for Insomnia:
Severe insomnia condition messes our lives. An individual suffering from severe insomnia becomes distressed to come out of it. Today, special techniques are used to enhance the patient’s sleeping conditions like controlling and changing sleeping habits of the patient, intake of warm milk an hour before the sleep, taking warm bath and among others. Neglecting additional coffee, tea, alcohol helps in controlling insomnia. Relaxation techniques like meditations, yoga and messaging escalates calmness and tranquillity which in turn encourages sleep. While, all these methods are effectual only if they are backed up by some appropriate insomnia medications.
Severe insomnia persists for longer time intervals. Thus, treating insomnia often requires temporary use of tranquilizing drugs and other hypnotic medications like Benzodiazepine sedatives such as Restoril, Dalmane, Halcion, Estazolam, Ativan, Clonazepam and non- benzodiazepine sedatives such as Lunesta, Sonata, Ambien, Melatonin and Rmaelteon. Doctors even prescribe certain anti-depressants like Amitriptyline and Trazodone for the treatment of insomnia in patients who are also going through depression. Still, certain amount of care is essential while consuming any of these pills. These drugs shouldn’t be consumed without proper consultation from the medical practitioner.
Home Remedies for Insomnia:
Here are certain effective home remedies for insomnia:
- Mix a glass of celery juice with a teaspoon of honey and drink it before going to bed every day. It will make certain a restful sleep all through the night.
- Blend some fried cumin seeds and mix it with the pulp of a ripe banana. Eat this at night in order to treat insomnia.
- Drink honey water before going to bed.
- Milk is also very effective in treating insomnia. Routinely drink a glass of milk with one tablespoon of honey at night.
- Consume bottle-gourd vegetable as it treats insomnia. Rub your scalp with sesame oil including one tablespoon of bottle gourd juice.
- Rub a tablespoon of curd on forehead. This will initiate good and restful sleep.
- Prepare tea using one teaspoon of honey, half tablespoon aniseed and milk. Drink this herbal tea before going to bed.
Herbal Remedies for Insomnia:
Here are some effective herbal remedies for insomnia:
- Aniseed is a precious remedy to cure insomnia naturally. It helps in the relaxation of the nervous system. Aniseed tea is often prescribed to people suffering from insomnia problems.
- Rauwolfia contains natural sedative properties. It is non-stimulating and often used by children and adults to treat insomnia. It’s probably powdered root and is very effective if taken along with some other aromatic substance such as cardamom or vanilla.
- Celery is yet another useful herb that helps that body to calm down and helps nerves soothe down.
- Nutmeg is used in curing sleeping problems in children. It is usually consumed in the form of mixture with other substances like amalaki and honey.
Live a stress-free life as worries are considered silent killers and will not allow you to sleep.
For different ways to help manage your insomnia, make an appointment at our clinic.
Call us on (03) 9794 8546.